A diagram is worth a million words. When it comes to understanding and improving processes, the science and art of process mapping becomes very handy. This is the main theme of this course which aims to develop process mapping skills for participants by helping them understand the different types of process mapping approaches from simple flow charts to value stream mapping. Various process assessments will be presented and discussed. Toyota famous Lean principles will be explained and used to help participants understand how to improve processes through mapping in service and manufacturing organizations.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Define processes and their importance for the proper functioning of an organization
- Identify the international standards for approaches to processes
- Examine various process assessment methodologies
- Generate process analysis charts and construct process maps for improvement
- Justify the need to measure processes as an improvement tool
Who Should Attend
Individuals involved in improvement projects, processes identification, work design, productivity improvement or quality auditing initiatives.
Module (01) Process definitions and elements
- Process definition
- Process approach improvement
- Advantages of process mapping
- Elements of a process
- Benefits of process maps
- Attributes of a process map:
- Who is the customer?
- What is critical to their satisfaction?
- Where can we obtain process performance data?
- How well do our processes satisfy their needs?
- What is our business value chain?
- What are process efficiency and effectiveness?
- Stakeholders analysis
Module (02) Understanding process approach as per international quality standards
- Understanding process approach
- Process characteristics
- The Plan, Do Check, Act (PDCA) approach
- Opportunities in terms of reducing cycle time and defects
- Nonvalue-added explained
Module (03) Process assessments approaches
- Key terms
- Mapping process
- Types of mapping tools
- Simple flowcharting
- Geo graphs, spaghetti and workflow diagrams
- Swimlane (deployment) flowcharts
- Supplier, Input, Process, Output, Customer charts (SIPOC)
- Value-added and nonvalue-added analysis
- Value stream maps
- Cycle time map
- Process hierarchy
- Process maps symbols
- ‘IDEF0’ process map
- Lean thinking to reduce waste in processes
- The eight types of waste found in processes
- 5S: a framework to organize and maintain your workplace
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
Module (04) Process analysis and improvement
- Customer oriented processes
- Support-oriented processes
- Management processes
- Diagnosis of a process
- Analyzing and improving a process
- Turtle diagram
- Using process maps to identify root causes
- Twelve cornerstone tools to process streamlining
- Problem-solving techniques
- Process auditing as a tool for continuous improvement
- Process mapping in Six Sigma projects
Module (05) Process measurement and benchmarking
- The need to measure
- Process Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Benchmarking and the balanced scorecard