This practical course will cover the skills needed to ensure that meetings are run effectively and help participants get more out of their meetings whilst spending less time in them. The course will focus on the management of people and time and the use of techniques to ensure that meetings produce real, measurable results. It also looks at behavioral issues to explain why meetings can be unproductive and lengthy and practical measures to remedy this.
After attending the course, participants will have the ability to:
- Identify ways in which their meetings (both as chair and attendee) can be improved
- Use proactive measures to put these improvements into place
- Understand the traditional and modern roles and behaviors of meetings
- Prepare for a meeting which they are to lead in minimum time with maximum effect
- Be aware of barriers to an effective meeting and use communication skills to overcome them
- Understand the significance of verbal and non-verbal communication during a meeting
- Make meetings shorter and more productive.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for anyone who regularly leads, organizes or attends face to face meetings either within their organization or with external clients, suppliers and partner companies, and feels that they could be shorter or more productive.
Module (01) Meetings: Why Have Them?
- What can meetings achieve for us?
- To meet, or not to meet, that is the question
- 5 bad reasons for a meeting
- What goes wrong and why? What effect does this have on the organization?
- What goes well?
Module (02) Meetings: Theory V Reality
- Review of the traditional and modern meeting ‘roles’
- Expectations and responsibilities
- The meeting agenda
- Minutes? What minutes?
- The differences between the ‘ideal’ meeting and reality! Closing the gap
Module (03) Planning Effective Meetings
- Achieving maximum results in minimum time
- Planning tools to make life easier
- Who, what, when, where, how, why? Planning the ‘perfect’ meeting
- Achievable meeting objectives
- The key to shorter meetings
- Giving in order to receive
- Proactive communication
- Tips and techniques for planning meetings
- Putting it into practice: Planning a time-restricted meeting
Module (04) Meetings: The Human Element
- Starting on time
- Dealing with lateness and interruptions
- Recognising negative behaviors
- Tackling negative behaviors and promoting positive ones
- Recognising barriers to an effective meeting
- Verbal and non-verbal communications
- Tips and techniques for running meetings
- Controlling your meeting
- Putting it into practice 2: Controlling a meeting
Module (05) Follow Up
- Why minutes don’t have to be painful
- Actions and progression
- Getting results
Module (06) Back To Reality
- Planning for future meetings
- Development plan